Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Amazing Vocabulary

Well I've been truly amazed at his vocabulary today. It's easy to think that a baby's vocab is limited to what they can say, but they know much more than they normally express.

Here is how our great evening went:
After we got in our PJ's we played in the living room some more. I found some bubbles and blew them to his enjoyment. After a few times of hearing me say "bubble" he started to say it and associate it with the bubbles. We wrestled around on the floor and chased each other around the room, then started to calm down as bedtime was approaching. I then said "time for bed. bedtime" and zack looked at me, took a toy into his hand and started walking to his room and stopped at the crib pointing at it. I put him in, gave him a pacifier, and opened up one of his books to read. While Zack can't say many things, he can identify things. So on a page in the book that had many items, I asked "Where's the ball?" and he correctly pointed to the ball. I said "Where's the cookie?" and again another correct point. I asked "Where's the blanket?" and he grabbed his blanket rather than point to the blanket in the book. I then asked "Where the pajamas?" and he tugged at his shirt rather than point to the PJ's in the book. I was shocked since I didn't think he knew some of those words. I asked "Where's Bob the Bear?" and he grabbed the right stuffed animal. I asked "Where's Pooh Bear?" and again grabbed the right object in his crib.
After this I turned out the light, said goodnight, and closed the door and he went right to sleep.

I doubt evenings are always going to be this easy, especially as he gets into his twos. But 13 months is a fantastic time and age. Zack is so happy and excited about everything, he says new things each day and continues to amaze me. Each month gets better and better, and if Zack isn't careful, he'll end up with many brothers and sisters.... :-)

No comments: