Thursday, August 07, 2008

What a morning!

I had "one of those mornings" today, as a single dad. Jen left for work at 6:45. I had to get 3 kids ready and take 4 kids to school at 8:30.

Well, the short answer is every one is ok, but the family had an epic fail this morning. the only things missing were an injury or runaway dog.

First, Zack. Zack promised that he'd get dressed before his friend and classmate Gregory (and his new puppy) came over at 7am, but somehow that didn't happen. Poop #1 called and Zack was busy with that but made a mess and didn't clean himself well. Gregory was on the way in while I got a crying Zack back to the bathroom to get cleaned and into his bedroom to get dressed.

Then I go visit the girls, and am greeted with Zadie saying "uh-oh". Sure enough there is barf all over her crib and toys and a MED (massively exploded diaper) (which is Poop#2) to the point i couldn't tell the difference between the barf and poop. So she gets cleaned up up while Zack gets dressed and plays with Gregory. Zadie needs an instant bath because she has a mix of stuff all over her. Zoe is wandering around and trying to pull the soiled toys and stuff out of Zadie's crib so I try and quarantine the room and have Zoe wander with the boys while i clean Zadie. Zadie gets washed and dried (and gets upset that I used the doggie towel instead of the bunny towel) and dressed, then I tackle Zoe

Zoe was fine until I changed her (Poop #3) when it was clear she has a diaper rash which put her in a very foul mood. I barely got the diaper on, and she wouldn't let me put any clothes on her and began her Zoe-flop-tantrum. I left her alone in the living room because Zadie had just begun her tantrum. I close the door to the girls room to keep anyone else from going in there until i clean it.

Zack and Gregory had gotten some crackers out of Gregory's lunchbox, and Zadie saw them and wanted them, but she didn't get them and then became very upset. Gregory was nice to give her some to appease her when I asked and end the Zadie tantrum. So it's on to breakfast with a dressed Zadie and naked Zoe. I've run out of milk so I can't feed the kids what they are asking for (cereal) so it's apple juice and cereal bars and muffins for all. Zoe has calmed down a bit so it's off to get dressed again.

Back to Zoe's room I open the door and realize that the dog Tobey was closed inside. Not a problem until I realized that he had been "cleaning" the soiled bed toys and had decided to leave a small present (Poop#4) on the floor nearby. Zoe is calm enough now that she picks out her clothes (a pooh shirt, or should I say "poo" shirt). At this point I put on Sesame Street to enchant the kids while I clean up the house and try not to lose my breakfast. We got off to school and the drop off was fine. Zadie ate well, is in good spirits, no fever, and was totally fine.

By the numbers:
5 people in the house
4 poops (in the house)
3 full-fledged tantrums
2 dogs
and 1 barf episode

2 comments:

Shannon said...

... for everything else, there's MasterCard

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.